|1882 Princeton Tigers football|
|Head coach||No coach|
|Captain||E. C. Peace|
|1882 college football records|
|Clifton A. C.||–||1||–||3||–||0|
The 1882 Princeton Tigers football team represented the College of New Jersey, then more commonly known as Princeton College, in the 1882 college football season. The team finished with a 7–2 record, outscoring their opponents, 44 to 4. The team's captain was E. C. Peace.
|October 11||Princeton alumni||Princeton, NJ||W 5–0|
|October 14||Rutgers||Princeton, NJ (rivalry)||W 5–0|
|October 28||Penn||Princeton, NJ (rivalry)||W 8–0|
|November 7||at Columbia||W 8–0|
|November 11||at Penn||W 10–0|
|November 14||at Rutgers||New Brunswick, NJ||W 3–0|
|November 18||at Harvard||L 1–2||1,000|
|November 25||Columbia||Princeton, NJ||W 3–0|
|December 1||vs. Yale||L 1–2||6,000–7,000|
On November 7, Princeton defeated Columbia at the Polo Grounds in New York. The game was played in two innings of 45 minutes each. Princeton won the game with eight goals and three touchdowns while Columbia was held to one safety touchdown.
On November 11, Princeton defeated Penn at Recreation Park in Philadelphia. Princeton scored 10 goals and four touchdowns, and Penn was held scoreless.
Princeton's game with Harvard was played on November 18 in Cambridge before a crowd of around 1,000 spectators, including a "score of ladies." Several inches of snow were cleared off the field before the game. Each team scored one goal, however Harvard's was from the field while Princeton's was after a touchdown. The rules stated a touchdown before a goal did not count, so Harvard's lone touchdown (with a missed goal kick) won the game.
On November 25, Princeton defeated Columbia in the second match of the year between the schools. Princeton scored three goals and one touchdown and held Columbia scoreless.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "All-Time Princeton Results". Princeton University. http://goprincetontigers.com/documents/2017/7/7//All_Time_FB_Results.pdf. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- ↑ "1882 Princeton Tigers Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/princeton/1882-schedule.html. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- ↑ "All Time Captains". Princeton University. http://www.princetontigersfootball.com/history/all-time-captains/. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- ↑ "Columbia Meets Princeton". The New York Times: p. 3. November 8, 1882. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15270022/columbia_meets_princeton/.
- ↑ "Students Kicking: Exciting Game of Foot-Ball Between University and Princeton". The Times (Philadelphia): p. 1. November 12, 1882. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15269739/students_kicking_exciting_game_of/.
- ↑ "Princeton Beaten By Harvard". The New York Times: p. 2. November 19, 1882. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15025794/princeton_beaten_by_harvard_after_an/.
- ↑ "untitled". The New York Times: p. 9. November 26, 1882. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15269884/princeton_columbia_football_results/.
- ↑ "Yale's Great Victory: Defeating Princeton and Winning the Championship". The New York Times: p. 1. December 1, 1882. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15269615/yales_great_victory/.